When it comes to ancient monuments: Rome beats Cairo by 8 to 3 Egyptian obelisks.
But when it comes to burying Roman ruins: Cairo beats Rome by 66 to 15 feet deep.
In Roman Egypt, Heliopolis belonged to the province Augustamnica, causing it to appear as Heliopolis in Augustamnica when it needed to be distinguished from Baalbek.
The ancient city is currently located about 15–20 meters (49–66 ft) below the streets of the middle- and lower-class suburbs of Al-Matariyyah, Ain Shams, and Tel Al-Hisn in northern Cairo.
We now enter the Via del Banco di S. Spirito, Via dei Banchi Vecchi, and Via del Pellegrino, all ancient as shown by the remains of Roman basaltic pavement which are constantly discovered under the modern pavement at a depth varying from ten to fifteen feet.
The Destruction of Ancient Rome – Rodolfo Amedeo Lanciani – 1901
Quite how Heliopolis got buried 66 feet below current street level [elevation 45 feet] is a mystery.
But it’s possible a “major destruction event” buried Heliopolis under sand and gravel at the Arabian Horizon in 637 CE.
During the Middle Ages, the growth of Fustat and Cairo only a few kilometres away caused its ruins to be massively scavenged for building materials, including for their city walls.
… in Alexandria the Roman remains [including coins of Trajan and Hadrian] are buried deep beneath the debris layer associated with the Arabian Horizon of 637 CE.
This scenario is supported by the Babylon Fortress [Cairo] narrative which includes references to the Emperor Trajan [whose coins are buried under debris in Alexandria] and the [“most radical” of the 300 Year Repeater] Emperor Diocletian.
Babylon Fortress was an ancient fortress city or castle in the Delta of Egypt, located in the area today known as Coptic Cairo.
Examination of the material and structural remains revealed a sequence of continuous occupation extending from the sixth century BC to the present day.
These include the massive stone walls of the canal linking the Nile to the Red Sea, and the harbor constructed by Trajan at its entrance around AD 110.
The Emperor Diocletian built the fortress of Babylon around the harbor and the canal in AD 300, and much new information has come to light concerning the construction and internal layout of the fortress, which continues to enclose and define the enclave of Old Cairo.
Important evidence for the early medieval transformation of the area into the nucleus of the Arab city of al-Fustat and its later medieval development is also presented.
Babylon of Egypt: The Archaeology of Old Cairo and the Origins of the City
Peter Sheehan – American University in Cairo Press – 2010
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U63GBKO
Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U63GBKO
Diocletian is seen as the most radical of all the Late Antiquity repeaters of everything 300 years out of fashion.
Rome’s Imperial Stratigraphy Belongs To The 8th-10th Century Period
Q-Mag – Gunnar Heinsohn – 22 June 2014
And if you take a trip up the Nile to visit the ancient Egyptian sites then keep an eye open for what’s left of the Roman ruins because they get gradualists gibbering.
Nile Valley: Memphis
Memphis remained the second city of Egypt until the establishment of Fustat (or Fostat) in 641 CE.
It was then largely abandoned and became a source of stone for the surrounding settlements.
It was still an imposing set of ruins in the 12th century but soon became a little more than an expanse of low ruins and scattered stone.
Nile Valley: Oxyrhynchus
Even the ruins have perished. When Egyptologist Flinders Petrie went to Oxyrhynchus in 1922, he found remains of the colonnades and theatre. Now a single column meets the eye: everything else has gone, building material for modern houses.
POxy: Oxyrhynchus Online
Oxyrhynchus is a city in Middle Egypt, located about 160 km south-southwest of Cairo, in the governorate of Al Minya.
For the past century, the area around Oxyrhynchus has been continually excavated, yielding an enormous collection of papyrus texts dating from the time of the Ptolemaic and Roman periods of Egyptian history.
Among the texts discovered at Oxyrhynchus are plays of Menander, fragments from the Gospel of Thomas, and fragments from Euclid’s Elements.
They also include a few vellum manuscripts, and more recent Arabic manuscripts on paper
In the period from 619 to 629, when Egypt was ruled by the Persian Sassanids, three Greek papyri from Oxyrhynchus include references to large sums of gold that were to be sent to the Sasanian “king of kings” (Shahanshah).
Oxyrhynchus remained a prominent, though gradually declining, town in the Roman and Byzantine periods.
After the Arab invasion of Egypt around 641, the canal system on which the town depended fell into disrepair, and Oxyrhynchus was abandoned.
Today the town of El Bahnasa occupies part of the ancient site.
The Oxyrhynchus Papyri are a group of manuscripts discovered during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries by papyrologists Bernard Pyne Grenfell and Arthur Surridge Hunt at an ancient rubbish dump near Oxyrhynchus in Egypt.
The manuscripts date from the time of the Ptolemaic (3rd century BC) and Roman periods of Egyptian history (from 32 BC to the Arab conquest of Egypt in 640 AD).
P. Oxy. VIII 1073 is an Old Latin version of Genesis, other manuscripts are probably copies of the Septuagint.
Old Latin, also known as Early Latin or Archaic Latin, refers to the Latin language in the period before 75 BC: before the age of Classical Latin.
In New and Contemporary Latin, it is called prisca Latinitas (“ancient Latin”) rather than vetus Latina (“old Latin”), as vetus Latina is used to refer to a set of Biblical texts (which are written in Late Latin).
Nile Valley: Hermopolis Magna
Hermopolis (also Hermopolis Magna) was a major city in antiquity, located near the boundary between Lower and Upper Egypt.
A provincial capital since the Old Kingdom period, Hermopolis developed into a major city of Roman Egypt, and an early Christian center from the 3rd century.
It was abandoned after the Muslim invasion but was restored as both a Latin Catholic (meanwhile suppressed) – and a Coptic Orthodox titular see.
Nile Valley: Antinopolis
Antinopolis (modern Sheikh ‘Ibada) was a city founded at an older Egyptian village by the Roman emperor Hadrian to commemorate his deified young beloved, Antinous, on the east bank of the Nile, not far from the site in Upper Egypt where Antinous drowned in 130 AD.
It first belonged to the Heptanomis, but under Diocletian (286 AD) Antinopolis became the capital of the nome of the Thebaid.
Antinopolis was still a “most illustrious’ city in a surviving divorce decree of 569 AD.
The city was abandoned around the 10th century.
It continued to host a massive Greco-Roman temple until the 19th century, when it was destroyed to feed a cement works.
The ruins of Antinopolis attest, by the area which they fill, the ancient grandeur of the city.
The direction of the principal streets may still be traced.
The streets were built on a grid plan with roads intersecting at right angles, like the majority of Roman cities at this time, and Jomard, a member of Napoleon’s Commission d’Egypte found that the streets were divided into quarters and blocks, with each building being conveniently numbered (Bell, 1940).
One at least of them, which ran from north to south, had on either side of it a corridor supported by columns for the convenience of foot-passengers.
The walls of the theatre near the southern gate, and those of the hippodrome without the walls to the east, are still extant.
At the north-western extremity of the city was a portico, of which four columns remain, inscribed to Good Fortune, and bearing the date of the 14th and last year of the reign of Alexander Severus, 235.
As far as can be ascertained from the space covered with mounds of masonry, Antinopolis was about a mile and a half in length, and nearly half a mile broad. The remains of the city, having a three and a half mile circumference, suggests Roman and Hellenistic foundations and was surrounded by a brick wall on three sides, leaving the fourth side open to the Nile (Bell, 1940).
Today not much remains of the ancient city of Antinopolis.
In its place is El Sheikh Ibada, a small mud village surrounded by the crumbled ruins of what was once a city of worship.
There is not much left of the ancient city, as many buildings had their materials taken to build newer structures, such as sugar factories for El-Rodah, but visitors can still see the remains of the Roman Circus and ruins of a few temples.
Explore Hadrian’s City on the Nile – The Antinoupolis Foundation
Nile Valley: Cusae
Cusae was a city in Upper Egypt, known to the Ancient Egyptians as Qis or Kis. Today, the town is known as El Quseyya, and is located on the west bank of the Nile in the Asyut Governorate.
During the 5th century, the city was the settlement of Legio II Flavia Constantia.
Nile Valley: Lycopolis
E’ Syout, the ancient Lycopolis, in lat. 27° 10′ 14″, on the western bank, has no conspicuous ruins, but in the excavated chambers of the adjacent rocks mummies of wolves are found, confirming the etymology of the name.
Ancient Egypt Under the Pharaohs – John Kenrick – 1885
Asyut is the capital of the modern Asyut Governorate in Egypt, which has one of the largest Coptic Catholic bishopric churches in the country; the ancient city of the same name, which is situated nearby.
In Graeco-Roman Egypt, it was called Lycopolis or Lykopolis, Lycon, or Lyco.
Nile Valley: Panopolis
Michael J. Fuller – Professor Emeritus of Anthropology
St Louis Community College
Akhmim is a city in the Sohag Governorate of Upper Egypt.
Referred to by the ancient Greeks as Khemmis, Chemmis and Panopolis, it is located on the east bank of the Nile, 4 miles to the northeast of Sohag.
Strabo mentions linen-weaving and stone-cutting as ancient industries of Panopolis, and it is not altogether a coincidence that the cemetery of Akhmim is one of the chief sources of the beautiful textiles of Roman and Christian age, that are brought from Egypt.
In the 13th century AD, a very imposing temple still stood in Akhmim.
Today, little of its past glory remains.
Nothing is left of the town, the temples were almost completely dismantled, and their material reused in the later Middle Ages.
The extensive cemeteries of ancient Akhmim are yet to be fully explored.
The destroyed corner of a Greco-Roman period temple with colossal statues of Ramesses II and Meritamen were discovered in 1981.
Nile Valley: Diospolis Parva
Of the late remains at Hu there is not much to be said, although we found hundreds of mummies of Roman age ; nearly all were of a uniform poorness, with no objects or decoration of any kind… The great temple enclosure at Hu which was later made into a Roman fort, is so much like the brick enclosures of temples of the XVIIIth Dynasty, at Gurob and Nubt… but no trace could be found of buildings, pottery, or other remains, older than the Ptolemies.
Diospolis Parva : The Cemeteries of Abadiyeh and Hu, 1898-9
William Matthew Flinders Petrie and Arthur Cruttenden Mace – 1901
Hu is the modern name of an Egyptian town on the Nile, which in more ancient times was the capital of the 7th Nome of Upper Egypt.
In Ptolemaic times the city was called Diospolis Parva (Little Zeus-City) in comparison with Thebes, Egypt, known as Diospolis Magna (Great Zeus-City).
It was also called Diospolis Superior (Upper Zeus-City), in comparison with Diospolis Inferior (Lower Zeus-City) in the Nile Delta.
Nile Valley: Tentyris
Dendera, also spelled Denderah, ancient Iunet, Tentyris or Tentyra is a small town and former bishopric in Egypt situated on the west bank of the Nile, about 5 kilometres (3 mi) south of Qena, on the opposite side of the river.
After Egypt became a Roman possession, the city of Tentyris was part of the Late Roman province of Thebais Secunda.
Nile Valley: Justinianopolis
During the Roman period, the local inhabitants of Qift rebelled during the rule of Diocletian and the city was destroyed.
The Qift Regional Expedition – 2003
Qift (Ancient Greek: Coptos or Koptos;Roman Justinianopolis) is a small town in the Qena Governorate of Egypt about 43 km north of Luxor, on the east bank of the Nile.
It recuperated its prominence under the Antonines; it was the base camp of Legio III Cyrenaica, or at least one of its subunits.
It rebelled, but soon was captured in 292 by Diocletian after a long siege and almost destroyed, but soon recovered its former standing.
In the 6th century, Qift was renamed Justinianopolis, like several other cities, after the Byzantine emperor Justinian I.
Remains of three temple groups surrounded by an enclosure wall were located during the excavations of W. M. Flinders Petrie in 1893-1894, and later, by Raymond Weill and Adolphe Joseph Reinach in 1910–1911. Qift was the focus of an American archaeological project from 1987 to 1992 and an Australian one between 2000 and 2003.
Nile Valley: Thebes
The Assyrians decreed that Thebes should be restored and rebuilt by Egyptian labor to compensate for their resistance to Assyrian rule. The city gradually recovered and worship of Amon continued there until the coming of Rome when it was destroyed by the Roman army in the 1st century CE. Afterwards it remained in ruins, populated only by a few people inhabiting the buildings which had been left vacant after the Romans moved on.
Ancient History Encyclopedia – Thebes – Joshua J. Mark – 24 February 2016
Thebes (Ancient Greek: Thēbai), known to the ancient Egyptians as Waset, was an ancient Egyptian city located east of the Nile about 800 kilometers (500 mi) south of the Mediterranean.
During the Roman occupation (30 BC-349 AD), the remaining communities clustered around the pylon of the Luxor temple.
Thebes became part of the Roman province of Thebais, which later split into Thebais Superior, centered at the city, and Thebais Inferior, centered at Ptolemais Hermiou.
In the first century AD, Strabo described Thebes as having been relegated to a mere village.
Nile Valley: Luxor
Luxor is a city in Upper (southern) Egypt and the capital of Luxor Governorate.
During the Roman era, the temple and its surroundings were a legionary fortress and the home of the Roman government in the area.
A Roman legion was headquartered in Luxor temple at the time of Roman campaigns in Nubia. Building did not come to an abrupt stop, but the city continued to decline.
In the 3rd century the temple was converted into a fort, with a perimeter wall by the Romans. There are scant remains of the fort today, some walls can be seen and a number of Roman brick and columned structures give evidence of this period.
Nile Valley: Hermonthis
Armant (known in Greek as Hermonthis), is a town located about 12 miles south of Thebes, in Egypt.
…a new temple was started in the reign of Nectanebo II and was continued by the Ptolemies. Cleopatra VII and Ptolemy XV Caesarion added a birth house with a sacred lake. The building remained visible until the Nineteenth Century, when it was recycled to build a sugar factory. Only the remains of the pylon of Thutmose III are visible today.
Two gates, one of them built by Antoninus Pius, have also been found.
Antoninus Pius, also known as Antoninus, was Roman emperor from 138 to 161.
Nile Valley: Latopolis
Esna, Greek: Latopolis or Letopolis or Polis Laton or Latton; Latin: Lato, is a city in Egypt. It is located on the west bank of the River Nile, some 55 km south of Luxor.
With the exception of the jamb of a gateway – now converted into a door-sill – of the reign of Thutmose II (Eighteenth Dynasty), the remains of Latopolis belong to the Ptolemaic or Roman eras.
The pronaos, which alone exists, resembles in style that of Apollonopolis Magna (Edfu), and was begun not earlier than the reign of Claudius (41-54 AD), and completed in that of Vespasian, whose name and titles are carved on the dedicatory inscription over the entrance.
The name of the emperor Geta, the last ruler that can be read in hieroglyphics, although partially erased by his brother and murderer Caracalla (212), is still legible on the walls of Latopolis. Before raising their own edifice, the Romans seem to have destroyed even the basements of the earlier Egyptian temple.
The ceremonial way, which probably linked the quay to the temple, has disappeared.
The quay bears cartouches of Marcus Aurelius.
Nile Valley: Eileithyiaspolis
El Kab (or better Elkab) is an Upper Egyptian site on the east bank of the Nile at the mouth of the Wadi Hillal about 80 kilometres (50 mi) south of Luxor (ancient Thebes).
During the Greco-Roman period, the town flourished and became known as Eileithyias polis (Latin: Lucinae Civitas).
This village may have thrived for a little while, but it seems that in 380, the city was demolished, either from military or political events.
All that remains of the actual buildings are the lower parts of the walls of the houses, but luckily many of the artifacts that would have been inside the houses remained.
Coins from the first to fourth century were recovered along with Demotic Greek and ostraca.
Nile Valley: Apollinopolis Magna
Edfu is an Egyptian city, located on the west bank of the Nile River between Esna and Aswan, with a population of approximately sixty thousand people.
The remains of the ancient settlement of Edfu are situated about 50 m to the west of the Ptolemaic temple – to the left of the older temple pylon. This settlement is known as Wetjeset-hor and the Greek name was Apollinopolis Magna.
According to Notitia Dignitatum, part of Legio II Traiana Fortis was camped in Apollo superior, which was the Roman name for the town.
The Temple of Edfu is an ancient Egyptian temple, located on the west bank of the Nile in Edfu, Upper Egypt. The city was known in Greco-Roman times as Apollonopolis Magna, after the chief god Horus-Apollo… was built in the Ptolemaic period between 237 and 57 BC.
Over the centuries, the temple became buried to a depth of 12 metres (39 ft) beneath drifting desert sand and layers of river silt deposited by the Nile.
Local inhabitants built homes directly over the former temple grounds.
Only the upper reaches of the temple pylons were visible by 1798, when the temple was identified by a French expedition.
In 1860 Auguste Mariette, a French Egyptologist, began the work of freeing Edfu temple from the sands.
Nile Valley: Ombos
Kom Ombo (Ancient Greek: Omboi or Ombos or Latin: Ambo and Ombi) – is an agricultural town in Egypt famous for the Temple of Kom Ombo.
It became a Greek settlement during the Greco-Roman Period.
In Kom Ombo there is a rare engraved image of what is thought to be the first representation of medical instruments for performing surgery, including scalpels, curettes, forceps, dilator, scissors and medicine bottles dating from the days of Roman Egypt.
Nile Valley: Nag el-Hagar Fortress
To the south from Luxor (ancient Thebes), not far from Kom Ombo (ancient Ombos) in the place called Nag el-Hagar there remained some ruins of a Roman fortress, which was probably erected in the end of III century A.D., supposedly during the rule of Diocletian (284-305 A.D.)
Imaging of The Late Roman Castrum
Hypothetical Computer Reconstruction of Nag el-Hagar Fortress in Egypt
Dmitry A. Karelin – Chief architect of TMA Kozhushanogo
Moscow Institute of Architecture (State academy), Moscow, Russia
Nile Valley: Philae
Philae is currently an island in the reservoir of the Aswan Low Dam, downstream of the Aswan Dam and Lake Nasser, Egypt. Philae was originally located near the expansive First Cataract of the Nile in Upper Egypt and was the site of an Egyptian temple complex.
These rapids and the surrounding area have been variously flooded since the initial construction of the Aswan Low Dam in 1902. The temple complex was later dismantled and relocated to nearby Agilkia Island as part of the UNESCO Nubia Campaign project, protecting this and other complexes before the 1970 completion of the Aswan High Dam.
The island temple was built during the Ptolemaic Kingdom.
The principal deity of the temple complex was Isis, but other temples and shrines were dedicated to other deities such as Hathor.
Egyptologists believe that Philae was the last active site of the native ancient Egyptian religion, and that the last Egyptian hieroglyph was written there in the late fourth century.
The temple was closed down officially in the sixth century by the Byzantine emperor Justinian I (527-565).
Nile Valley: Pselchis
Ad-Dakka (also el-Dakka, Egyptian: Pselqet, Greek: Pselchis) was a place in Lower Nubia.
It is the site of the Greco-Roman Temple of Dakka, dedicated to Thoth, the god of wisdom in the ancient Egyptian pantheon.
During the Roman period, the Emperors Augustus and Tiberius further enlarged the structure with “the addition, at the rear, of a second sanctuary as well as inner and outer enclosure walls with a large pylon. The sanctuary contained a granite naos.”
The temple of Dakka collapsed in 1908–1909 and was subsequently rebuilt by Alessandro Barsanti.
During the construction of the Aswan dam in the 1960s, the temple was dismantled and moved to the site of Wadi es-Sebua.